Getting ready for that big renovation project at home? To make sure you have the right words for the job, we called Kevin Ireton, the editor of Fine Homebuilding Magazine, who graciously explained these -- fine -- homebuilding terms:

Stool. "The ledge on the inside of a window, which most people call the sill. The sill is the similar piece on the outside."

Crown. "It's used as a verb by framing carpenters and means to check a stud, rafter or joist to see if it's straight and to mark the crown (or high spot) if there is one."

Biscuit. "A small, football-shaped wafer of compressed wood used (like a dowel or spline) to join two boards together."

Eyebrow. "A particular style of dormer with an arched roof that mimic's the curve of your eyebrow."

Doghouse. "The most common dormer, which looks like a doghouse sitting on someone's roof."

Valley. "The intersection where two roof planes come together."

Rake. "Refers to the slope of the roof."

Sister. "In framing, this word becomes a verb for doubling up a framing member to strengthen it. Carpenters talk about 'sistering.'"

Tongue. "A common term for joining flooring, as in 'tongue and groove.'"

Nose. "A carpenter's term; you put a "nosing," say, to hide the exposed edge of plywood shelving."

Can. "Round light fixture recessed in a ceiling."

Snake. "Plumber's tool used for clearing a blocked drain pipe."

Elbow. "A fitting used to make a right angle (or a 45 degree angle) with plumbing pipe."