Get ready to sprint out of the starting gate when the 2021–22 Vocabulary Bowl season kicks off on October 1!
To rev up the word learning, we're inviting schools across the map to compete in a special One-Day Vocabulary Bowl Challenge. All the exciting action plays out on the daily leaderboard as students master as many words as they can in 24 hours! It's a fast and furious event that will bring some much-needed fun to your class, whether your students are learning in school, remote, or hybrid.
The three schools that master the most words on Vocabulary.com on October 1 and finish at the top of the daily Division I, II, and III leaderboards will be crowned the 2021–2022 Opening Day Champions. It's a claim to fame that will earn them an official Vocabulary Bowl achievement certificate and hefty bragging rights. Official achievement certificates will also be awarded to the top 5 high schools and middle/elementary schools in Divisions I, II and III.
What: Opening Day One-Day Challenge
- Compete against schools in your division to take home the title of Opening Day Champion
- Achievement certificates awarded to top 5 high schools and middle/elementary schools in Division I, II and III
- Compete for prizes in our social media scavenger hunt
- Play in a nationwide Vocab Jam at the top of every hour
|Time (ET)||Vocab Jam|
|8:00 AM||Shear Genius: Hairy Vocabulary|
|9:00 AM||Dog Vocabulary: A Canine Lexicon|
|10:00 AM||All-Image Jam|
|11:00 AM||Tyrannosaurus Lex(icon)|
|12:00 PM||Emotions on Display (All Images)|
|1:00 PM||Words to Describe the Weather|
|2:00 PM||Animals (All Images)|
|3:00 PM||Words Every Pirate Should Know|
|4:00 PM||Baseball: A Lexicon|
|5:00 PM||Face It: Selfie Vocab|
|6:00 PM||Over The Moon: Planetary Vocabulary|
|7:00 PM||Stump Speech: Tree Terminology|
|8:00 PM||Book Words for Book Worms|
When: All day October 1, 2021 12:00 a.m. — 11:59 p.m.
Where: Anywhere and everywhere! All of your students, wherever they are learning, can log on to Vocabulary.com from any device to master words and earn points for your school.
Who: Open to all accredited K-12 schools in the U.S.*
How to Play: It's as easy as 1, 2, 3! See complete details.
- For students who are new to Vocabulary.com, it's easy to create a free account. There's no cost for students to play, compete, and learn!
- Make sure your learners select your school so the words they master count for your team!
- Log in to Vocabulary.com and click "Learn" then select "The Challenge" to start learning words and earning points!
For teachers who want access to additional features like creating classes, assigning vocab lists, and monitoring progress, try a free 30-day trial! You'll get total access to all the premium features on our subscription plan at the best time of year to try a new approach to vocab instruction!
New Teacher Resources
Want some ideas to help you build some Bowl momentum in your classroom? Set your students up for success with these helpful resources:
- Vocabulary Bowl implementation guide
- How to set #BOWLGOALS
- How to create a custom leaderboard
- Vocabulary Bowl student recognition certificate
- Vocabulary.com student recognition certificate
- Customizable achievement badge certificate
- Vocabulary.com achievement badge artwork
- Social Media Templates — Facebook & Instagram
- Social Media Templates — Twitter
Follow Us on Social
*All accredited K–12 schools in the United States are invited to participate in the Opening Day One-Day Challenge. All accredited K–12 schools in the United States and Canada are eligible to participate in the Vocabulary Bowl. Learn how to play for your school, and read the full contest rules for details.
Have questions? Email email@example.com.
- Article topics:
- Vocabulary Bowl